Saturday, March 3, 2012

Average? Yes. Common? I sure hope not!

average ~ as defined by an on line dictionary "being about midway between extremes"

That's me~~ i find myself "about midway between extremes" -- physically, academically, financially, politically, etc. By average I mean kinda typical. It's not a bad thing, and i'm not complaining about it. i'm not the tallest, not shortest, not most brillant, not most ignorant, not rich, not poor, not very athletic, and definitely not mathletic.  hee! hee! i could probably rob a bank and get away with it because the bank teller would say, "ummm, well she looked...uhhh, you know, average" heehee.

recently, i read a book called "The Collectibles" and i liked it. A LOT! it was a great challenge to the "average Joe" in all of us...The following conversation is between Joe and his Uncle Howard, a rugged, wise older man that has raised Joe.

(discouraged Joe to his uncle) "Well, to tell you the truth, Uncle Howard, I've been doing a lot of thinking and, no matter how much I think about it, I really can't change."
"Can't change what?" Howard asked in a gentle tone.
"Can't change the fact that I'm average, and I'm always going to be average...I hate being average."
"Son, you're right. You can't help bein' average. But that don't mean you can't be uncommon."
"Uncommon?"
"Yep, uncommon..." Joe crawled into his sleeping bag. He finally fell asleep, but not before making himself a promise. I may have to go through this world being average -- but I swear, I'll be uncommmon along the way.

And he stays true to his promise thoughout the rest of the book. He is uncommon in the way he chooses to invest his life in the lives of six "average" people. 


I too, want to be uncommon!! As a Christ follower with Jesus as my foundation and source of strength - I want to invest my life in others, i want my perspectives to reflect Him, i want to have an uncommon JOY that fills every area of my life because of Him.  

Average - yep!  but stiving to be uncommon ;)  


No comments:

Post a Comment